On Monday, one of my friends told a bunch of us that her favorite band, Does It Offend You, Yeah!, was coming to Freiburg, and that she really wanted to go see them. They are an electronica-dance kinda deal. I said that if she didn't find anyone else, I would go, just because I like concerts and I thought it would be fun. So I started listening to their music, and they were actually pretty good, so I started getting excited.
The first thing we did was make dinner and eat snacky foods and swing in the hammock my flatmate put up. It was wonderful. And dinner was delicious.
Then it was time to go. We had honestly no idea what we were getting into. We didn't know anything about the place where the concert was taking place or anything. But we were brave and went anyway.
We get to the club and in the door just fine. Once we get inside, we notice that no one is performing and that everyone is sorta standing around. So we thought they were changing sets. Three bands played tonight, Datarock (which we didn't get to see), Hadouken! (who were also sweet!), and our favorite, Does It Offend You, Yeah! (DIOYY)
So like any normal person, we quickly run to the front of the stage area and stand and wait for the show to start. And, as luck would have it, DIOYY was the next group to play! We had gotten their about an hour and a half late because of dinner, but that didn't matter because here we were right in the very front row, center! Things could only be amazing from here on out.
And they were. The first song, the lead singer give me a cowbell and tells me to play it. Not really knowing their music, I do my best...but the fact that I got to is just amazing.
The rest of their set goes great, and then it's time to switch again. While we were waiting, I started talking to this German girl next to us. She was really cool and told us about the next band, Hadouken! She made them sound really sweet. And they were.
While this group was playing, I got wet from a few thrown beers, I was in a mosh pit, I did this thing where the audience was parted, and then we all jumped into each other. The whole time, I managed to stay in my awesome front row spot. And then after this set, the M/C went around to the front row with a tray of Jaeger shots. So I took 5. 2 for my friend, and 3 for me.
And we didn't think the night could be any better, but we were tired so we decided to leave. On the way out, I spotted the lead singer of DIOYY and the bass player taking a smoke break. So after building our nerves, we go over and talk to them. They were SO amazing. They talked to us for a while about one of their US tours and just random stuff. And then we got a picture. AND THEN, they told us to find them on myspace so they could put us on their VIP list for future concerts! And I told them to look for the name "Schmeling," like the German Boxer. And they just flipped out. They all knew him. Even their manager knew him. So they told me to totally find them, because I'm set for life.
So I now need to re-make my Myspace. Fail. Oh well. I will for this.
And after I got home, I decided to go to a club. And I went to one on the 17th floor of this building here in Freiburg and saw the entire city. It was amazing. The music was good, but not as good as DIOYY, but still good. I left there around 1:30 because I was tired.
Before I got their, I was stopped by the "tram-police" to make sure I had my tram pass. But it turned out I didn't. That was scary. Normally, you have to pay 40 euro if you don't have it. But thankfully, one of the other guys on the program is basically fluent in German, and he just talked the policeman out of giving me the ticket. I got off totally free!!!!
And now, it's time for bed.
Good night everyone. Good night best night ever. Good night DIOYY.
Timmy you are such a drunk, but the Cowbell is amazing!!!!! I miss you, and I wish you were here to go to concerts with me!!!
ReplyDelete