Friday, March 19, 2010

Constant Coursework

Yup. That's right. I have tons of coursework. Which is silly since I should be spending more time exploring Germany/Freiburg than books. But whatever. I guess not every program can be like Japan...although, it is nice to have to study for stuff again...

I have five classes here. That's more than I have ever taken in my college life. (Knox is trimesters, with three classes each trimester, remember.) And I took all upper level classes...for the win.

My first class of the week is Foreign Policy Analysis. UGH! It's a really good class, and very interesting, but the Professor refuses to learn students' names...Except mine. "Timothy," as he likes to call me, is heard every class session, at least three times. I have gotten used to it, and find it funny, aaand also a form of motivation to actually do the readings so I can answer he constant questions.

My next class is EU and the Muslim World. I love this class. Basically, I'm taking what I learned last year at Knox in my Comparative Governments of the Middle East class, and looking at the governments through the EU's perspective. Really interesting, and really well taught. By a Brit no less. He's great. Always telling us to "shut-up." And that we are a "rowdy lot," and something about "apes." No idea. But he's one of those professors who doesn't mind sitting in the back while the students go at each others' throats. Which we do. One of the other kids on the program is a California Republican. And he sits next to an Alabama Liberal. Makes for great t.v, let me tell you.

Then I have EU Seminar 450. Again with my Brit. Again with something about "apes." This class is basically EU 101, but more intense. I like it, but I feel like I know the EU more than most Europeans. Which, I guess, is not such a bad thing. Maybe?

Then comes German. Oh geeze. I have two German classes. My German 305 and German Politics courses. I'm really excited about the language class, because it's one of the first times I have been in a higher language class, and other people haven't. I don't feel like I have much to show for it thought. But that's okay. The professor likes me and is trying to help me get extra practice. I think I might be one of the only 300 level kids who is seriously here for German. But then again, who knows.

And the politics course is also pretty amazing. The professor reminds me of Judy from Doug. Sorta dramatic, but in a good way. She has the dyed red hair that all German woman have, and she always wears black turtle-necks or a black swoop-neck sweater. Reminds me of Ms. Colwell from high school a bit. But she always greets us the same way; "Liebe Leute, ich wunche euch einen schonen Tag." (Dear Everyone, I wish you a wonderful day.) And she has other catch phrases like "Jetzt, mache ich eine Pause." (Now, I will take a break.) And "ersten Teil des Kurses. (First section of the class.) It's really funny. And she loves genativ. That's the case in German that not many people like using. It's basically like "The Lord OF the Rings" or "Star Wars." (Herr der Ringe or Kreig der Sterne) I guess you would have to understand German to find it funny/awesome...

SO ya. Those are my classes. We are in the process of mid-terms, maybe? I don't really know. There's just something do for something like all the time. Oh, and there's only about a month left of actual school. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you used a Doug reference! Now I am picturing all my professors as cartoon characters. Miss you Rin Tim Tim!
    -Stef

    ReplyDelete