If I was in Japan, I would say "hisashiburi," which basically means "long time, no see."
But since I'm in Germany, I say "Aber hallo! Wie geht's euch?!" Or, "Hi, how are you all?" Culture is interesting, isn't it? In that Japanese has a phrase specifically for seeing people again after a long time, and German hasn't. Or at least I haven't learned it yet.
Speaking of, I guess I have a few months to catch up on. I will start with the basics and go from there...
So in Germany, I don't live with a host family. I live in a flat. (That means apartment in American.) I share said flat with four other people. There are three Germans, one Chinese guy, and me. We share two bathrooms and a kitchen area. But for the past month, it has basically been vacation for the Germans.
So one of my flat mates, Hanna, went home. And has stayed home. For about a month now. She gets back in April. Maybe? Another one, Matsu (short for Matheaus?), is a Master's student, so he's here, but he's either studying all the time or sick. But he's still really cool and will talk to me when he sees me. And then there's Zhou, from China. He seems cool...but he never leaves his room unless he needs food or the bathroom. We went almost two weeks of co-habituating and not seeing each other. It's kinda funny.
And finally, my favorite, is Christian. He's great. He talks with me, hangs out with me, takes me places and keeps his door open when he practices his guitar. He's basically awesome. BUT, he also went home for a while. BUT BUT, he came back for a week and was excited to hang out. In fact last night, the two of us, and three of his friends just stayed at the flat and enjoyed each other's company. And two pots of hop-skiP I made...and games like Never-have-I-Ever. Best night in a while.
Oh, and Matsu and Zhou are moving out. Matsu is just moving to a different flat in the area, so he still wants to hang out, but I have no idea what Zhou's doing. Deported? I don't know. And another Hanna is moving in. I have met "new-Hanna" and she's awesome. She studied in America during high-school, so she really wants to hang out.
Christian said that when he's back, we are going to continue our "American studies" with a red-cup party...And he is going to teach me to open bottles with things like forks and lighters. Useful German Skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment